Last week the Bureau of Labor Statistics released its ‘Jobs Outlook’ for technical writers and let’s just say – it looks bright.
Job growth for technical writers is expected to outpace the national average
Due to predicted growth in the high tech and electronics industries the value of technical communication skills will no doubt rise. In fact, The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts the demand for technical communicators will grow 4% faster than demand for media and communication workers.
“Employment of technical writers is expected to grow 17 percent from 2010 to 2020, about as fast as the average for all occupations.
Employment growth will be driven by the continuing expansion of scientific and technical products and by growth in Web-based product support.
Growth and change in the high-technology and electronics industries will result in a greater need for those who can write instruction manuals and communicate information clearly to users.
Professional, scientific, and technical services firms will continue to grow rapidly and should be a good source of new jobs even as the occupation finds acceptance in a broader range of industries, including data processing, hosting, and related services.”
See the complete report at :http://www.bls.gov/ooh/Media-and-Communication/Technical-writers.htm#tab-1
While the economy as a whole has contracted, MindTouch has achieved remarkable growth. I’m proud to report that In 2009 we experienced 130% revenue growth, doubled our customer base and created a blossoming partner ecosystem. If you love what you do professionally please consider working at MindTouch. We are hiring for the following roles:
- Web developer (a webmaster, I loathe the term, but it’s fitting). Does effecting the behavior of millions of visitors excite you? Can you hack together systems for the sales and marketing team (MindTouch software makes it pretty easy)? Do you have stellar webdev and basic UX/UI skills? This is all you.
- Business analyst. This is a hard core data monkey that loves pouring over numbers. If you love data and analytics you will <3 working at MindTouch because everything we do is data driven. Test and measure, test and measure. Come help us.
- Technical trainer. Assist partners and customers ramp up development on MindTouch. Lay the foundation for self-paced training and technical documentation. This is more a customer/partner facing technical role than it is a documenter role, but you will be creating documentation.
- Account manager. 20% of MindTouch customers double their spending within the first 12 months and over 80% of MindTouch customers renew. These are impressive statistics for a company that currently has no formal account management resources or process. Help define the team and process while learning why MindTouch users and customers love our software.
- Product manager. Define and drive product specifications based on user, customer, partner and market inputs.
- Tier 2 customer support.
- Product marketing.
- Channel marketing.
- Channel sales.
- Technical documentation lead.
- User experience designer.
- Platform evangelist.
- Software developer engineers.
This is not all the positions we are hiring for, but these positions are top of mind. If you love your work please consider contacting us, but please include a cover letter, resume and some mention of why you are a good fit and would like to work with us at MindTouch.
RoyK recently shot some photos of our current office in anticipation of our imminent move to our new and improved offices. If you’re considering employment at MindTouch I thought it would be interesting to see some of the faces you would be working with.
MindTouch is currently hiring sales engineers to help grow our customer base. We need enthusiastic, friendly, extroverted and technical people to follow up with potential customers. Our goal is to build relationships with our user community and convert to customers those who have a real need for vendor backed support. This is not a hard-sale, sales position. Ideal candidates have a broad knowledge of current “Web2.0″ services and technologies. Understand wikis, blogs, and the difference between taxonomy and folksonomy. Familiarity or prior experience in groupware, collaboration, publishing, and content or knowledge management is a strong plus. Must have hand’s on experienced in the entire sales cycle, from leads generation to closing, with particular expertise in selling, maintaining customer relationships and renewing support subscriptions.
- Contact potential customers and qualify them via phone, email, or in person
- Meet regular sales goals
- Ability to give web based demos
- Work at our headquarters in San Diego
- Maintain salesforce.com for all accounts and prospects
- 3 or more years selling services, software and / or technology
- Ability to meet regular sales goals and quotas
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with CRM systems like ACT, Salesforce, or SugarCRM
- (optional but desirable) Knowledge of wikis and open source software
If these descriptions fit you, please submit a resume to jobs [at] mindtouch [dot] com
We are seeking a self-motivated, enthusiastic Community Manager with a strong technical background to support our rapidly growing user community and external networks. As the Community Manager, you will be the catalyst for external communication, networking and events across our users, partners and other interested technology parties. As the product and user advocate across a broad and growing base, a thorough understanding of the processes and technologies used for web infrastructure, as well as superior communication and organizational skills are critical. As the primary interface to all users and prospective customers, the Community Manager will demonstrate the ability to exceed expectations in a fast paced, startup environment where he/she will be a valuable contributor to the company’s overall growth and success.
- Maintain active community communication through newsletters, webinars, blogs, social media and forum posts
- Coordinate all efforts regarding the wiki, forums, blogs and similar community tools
- Provide strategy and thought leadership in external networks by actively listening and responding quickly to key partner, technology and user postings as well as developing deep networking relationships
- Drive the strategy and execution for expanding community activity and product adoption
- Organize and execute all community events including online events, community meetups and conferences
- Advocate community issues and product requests internally. Advise internal stakeholders of important trends and events in the community, using key data and statistics gathered from the community
- Experience with online communities and/or technical support for consumer web applications
- Technological knowledge and experience with web 2.0 applications including both consumer and enterprise technologies.
- Expertise using social media and consumer-driven content such as wikis, web feeds, blogs, forums, and podcasts
- Overall development experience using xml, php and C#.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- This role requires strong collaboration with marketing, engineering and support, so exceptional and demonstrated cross-group collaboration skills are required
- Other important strong skills include a passion for customers, strategic thinking and driving for results
- Ability to travel up to 10-15% for conferences
- Bachelors degree